Week 20. It's quiet in the house, although rainy and blustery outside. The dog is sleeping in her "place" and the cats are sprawled on the Red Blanket on our bed (wherever the Red Blanket is, on a day like this, there the cats are....except if its on the floor, but we never do that to the Red Blanket). I'm told I should take these peaceful moments and cherish them because all will change soon enough.
Martin Luther King Day. Thinking about how hard it is for us humans to acheive peace... thinking about the structural violence that is happening in Haiti so that this "natural disaster" becomes a crisis of disproportionate size. How peaceful it is in my house, how lucky I am to have a full fridge, fresh tasty water, warmth and protection from the elements... perhaps the best thing I can do is to remember to be thankful for this life and try to invite peacefullness in to me and to my children as much as I can.
We found out the genders of the kids last week. We had the technician write their genders on a little card with two red boats, two white boats, and two blue boats on the cover. We went to Chez Pascale (a favorite restaurant) and after we had ordered our meal, we opened the card. It said:
Baby A: Female
Baby B: Female
!!! Not that it really matters either way... its just fun to know. I still call them "the kids". I suppose I'll start calling them "the girls" sometimes. But we hope to avoid using "the twins". We want them to have room to have separate identities.
I also discovered that week 20 = 5 months. And here I'd been thinking I was only 4 months pregnant. Next week, week 21, is officially 6 months according to the pregnancy calenders. Such funny ways to count. We'll take a picture soon- it was something we were going to do this weekend, but the time got away from us as we started preparing the girls' room. We're painting it a rich chocolate brown- the color of a good mole sauce (a little red underlying tone) and a nice crisp white trim. Bold, as our friend Jane said. And we want these little ones to be bold. The room is all prepared now- I washed the walls and trim, and Eric filled in the cracks.
The dog did her best to get in our way, reminding us that we should really take her for a walk. We did, later in the day, on the Town Beach in Westport with Mo, dad, Heidi and James. Oh and Rory. I can't wait to take the girls there for the first time- I mean they've been there many times already in me, but I can't wait to be there with them as little teeny entities that are living and breathing outside of my body.
Of course they will be bold, and that is not because of the Chocolate Brown color in their room (good call by the way!) but because of the fantastic creature who is their mother. Lucky little darling girls they will be. Can auntie Nura be in charge of the frilly pink socks? And yes, so nice to have those moments of peace filled with such joy in acknowledging the blessings that we have been given - many of which include the fantastic friendships we have that will always remain special regardless of distance or a lapse in time. Hugs.
ReplyDelete