Sunday, March 21, 2010

back on the porch...and some professional maternity pictures




29 weeks tomorrow. Its officially spring...we've moved our porch furniture out, its sunny and the skies are blue and I'm out here on our screen porch with my pooch at my side. I can hear a cardinal and some mellow Sunday sounds from our neighborhood. Eric has gone to play guitar with some friends all the way on the other side of Rhode Island (will take him a full 40 minutes to get there...how quickly we have become Rhode Islanders).

Yesterday we had a 2 hour photo session with Linda Hawkins, who is, I must say, a fabulous photographer. We went to her studio. I've never had professional pictures taken of me (since I don't count our wedding photographer). Linda was fantastic- she put both of us camera-shy people at ease and was amazing at putting us in good positions for good photographs. I love the sillouettes the best. I can't wait to see the other ones- she showed us a few shots on her camera- there was some wonderful ones of me and Eric, which I'm super excited about.

She is also going to take pictures of the girls when they are newborns (for free!). We will probably get a CD of digital photos so that we can make copies of them cute little things (I'm assuming they'll be cute... the 3-D ultrasound photo we had last week got a great shot of Baby B...)

That's an awesome thing too, our ultrasound place. Worth taking a minute to describe. Since my pregnancy is considered "high risk" due to the twing thing and my "advanced maternal age" (sheesh), we need monthly ultrasounds. Our doctor, Jane Sharp (she rocks) referred us to another office for the ultrasounds. This other office, called New Beginnings, is *amazing*. Its decorated like the W hotel... very modern and stylish. The bathrooms are an experience in themselves. Plus they have fresh strawberries, fresh pastry and fresh *orange juice*. And of course hot tea and coffee, and free wifi. So you get there and chill for a bit before having your ultrasound done. And they do the 3-D ultrasound photos for free! Usually places charge $100 per photo! So we are in the lap of luxery- just by chance.

I gotta say, it feels so good to be enjoying this pregnancy, especially since it took us 4 years to get here. I'm delighted with how my body has adapted to it. I have to use a belly brace if I'm going to be standing for a long time, since my belly grew so big so quickly and my muscles didn't have time to adapt. But otherwise I'm pretty comfortable. My mother urged us to surround me with pillows when I sleep, and that has helped a ton. I can swim and do yoga, and that just feels really *right*. Sometimes I lift at the gym, if I'm feeling good. And that feels right too. Its amazing how clear my body is about what it needs. Rest is important too- and it tells me when its time to chill out. Its almost like someone pulls me down onto the couch and says "I... said... REST!"

Clear missions. I like this.

We're also in the process of finding a doula. I love that there are so many in the area! And this amazing community of women that I have fallen in with all had great thoughts and recommendations. We'll be meeting a few in person at the end of next week- the whole thing makes the inevitable labor and delivery seem that much more real. I've been reading about labor and different approaches to it, and really hope I get the chane to try (as opposed to just having to schedule a c-section. Although if it comes to that, I'll be OK- as long as the babies are healthy I will be happy). Its so very cool that even just having made the decisions to have a doula attend the birth makes me feel very calm and confident.

Well, I should say, having the doula + Eric + my mom (used to be a birth coach) + dad (OBGYN) makes one hell of a birth attendance team. I'm so lucky to have these people be willing to help me when the time comes. Its going to be such a cool thing to share together.

1 comment:

  1. "Advanced maternal age" indeed. Give me a break. That's ridiculous.

    But yes, you have a very experienced and wise and supportive team. You're very lucky! It's fun to read about here. :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete