Tuesday, May 18, 2010

what the cats think

I spend a lot of time on our couch these days, occasionally with a laptop in my lap, a book on nursing or new babies, or a novel (my book club is reading The Help right now, which is great b/c its super easy to read and I have a sketchy attention span right now). Inevitably, one cat or the other or both find their way to my belly and make themselves comfortable. Photographic evidence below. The first is Talkeetna (grey, white paws), the second is Zabrina (looks like she's hugging the belly).

I wonder how they will like the girls.

It is amazing to think that in just 7 days, we'll probably be at the hospital with our babies, unless I go into labor before then. The c-section is scheduled for Tuesday, May 25 at 6am with our wonderful OBGYN. I hope to avoid going into labor before then, so I'm really spending a lot of time with my feet up to keep those chances lower. Given that both girls are breach, its unlikely I'll get to pursue a natural birth. I'm pretty disappointed about that, but I'm also just happy that soon they will be born.

My parents are coming down on Thursday for the duration. I think Eric will appreciate having two more bodies to help out around the house- I'm pretty useless right now. I can manage just about one thing per day...otherwise I need to be laying low. If I'm up for too long my cankles turn into grapefruits and my abdomen starts to feel stretched.

I've also noticed how inwardly-oriented I've become- I'm very focused on myself and what I'm feeling physically and emotionally. It makes me not such a great conversationalist. Or writer, for that matter.

But I do just want to say that I am so grateful for all the well-wishes we are receiving- we both feel super supported by our community and family- near and far, and feel very prepared for this next adventure because of that support. I may not write again- or I might... but I will definitely write once we've passed through to the "other side" and have gotten a bit settled. We'll use this blog to send updates about the girls as they grow- so who knows, maybe it'll go on for years?

Love to you all!!

1 comment:

  1. oh betsy I am so excited for you. Yes, you do sound very
    inward and focused. It is really neat to read. You are doing
    exactly what you should be doing. Hanging out in your nest.
    We love you so much.

    ReplyDelete